Summary of Qualifications
- Exceptional technical leader with over 19 years of experience developing software and leading development and IT teams.
- Certified Scrum Product Owner and Certified Project Manager with extensive IT project management and Software Product experiences coupled with the drive, focus, business acumen and technical experience to deliver business value
- 14+ years in leadership roles as a manager, solutions architect, product owner and team lead.
- Experienced overseeing large-scale complex cross-function technical projects and implementing enterprise class solutions, managing stakeholders, vendors and clients.
- Skilled in presenting ideas, designs and solutions, articulating for both technical and non-technical audiences, delivering in person, remotely and to large groups.
2013 - 2017
Director of Data Strategy
Vendasta is a white-label SaaS company built to help B2B companies provide marketing solutions to local businesses. I joined when the company was 60 people and with my experience leading large cross-functional teams I contributed to their success in growing to over 250 people and landing on Deloitte’s Profit 500 and Fast 50 the last two years.
- Created Listing Distribution product and grew that product to become Vendasta’s most profitable product within two years
- Implemented Large Scale Scrum (LeSS) to help keep large team of developers agile and working efficiently as the company grew from 60 employees to over 250 in 3 years.
- Responsible for exploiting an opportunity caused by US regulation changes and making the lucrative medical vertical Vendasta’s, largest most profitable vertical.
- Contributed to doubling annual revenue growth by creating listing distribution product which quickly became the most profitable product while overseeing large architecture changes to company’s platform.
- Motivated product development teams to work outside their comfort zone, which led to more innovative and valuable solutions and 25% cost reduction in our monthly cloud costs.
- Responsible for all core services, which provided critical functionality to all of Vendasta’s products servicing over 300,000 small to medium sized business users.
- Created and nurtured vendor relationships with companies such as Google, Microsoft, Apple, Acxiom, Infogroup, Factual and Localeze.
- Managed and expanded a team of 8 developers to a department of 3 development team of 19 developers, QA and a Scrum Masters as demands on our systems grew from 125,000 users to over 300,000 with expectations to more than double again in a year.
2011 – 2013
2Hs is a boutique software management consulting business where through which I developed a sales strategy software company, Ink Software used by enterprise sales teams at Xerox, Ricoh and various enterprise software companies along with various other projects.
- Launched minimal viable product (MVP) in under three months. This included hiring UX and development staff and onboarding the first partner.
- Increased enterprise sales team’s efficiency by 10% by eliminating poor leads using statistical analysis.
- Managed development and architecture efforts for software startup creating enterprise sales strategy software.
- Managed scope, budget and schedule on all development projects.
- Designed and developed infrastructure and software to rapidly scale out in Amazon Web Services cloud to meet the client’s start up plan and meet the needs in their long-term business plan.
- Drove technical sales efforts meetings with potential clients establishing the relationship with IT executives, gaining insight to develop strategic proposals, quotes and estimates.
2007 – 2011
Torstar is the parent company for several media companies including The Toronto Star. Under a shared services model the Torstar IT group is used by over 100 companies. As an Solutions Architect I was responsible for delivering solutions consolidating and optimizing publishing functions throughout the enterprise.
Developed solution to distribute editorial data to over 24 syndicates that was initially estimated to take over 18 months and delivered it in 5 months without any additional resources.
Designed, managed development and delivery of CMS which transforming the newsrooms of over 40 weekly publications to online-first without creating any additional work for newsroom staff.
Successfully delivered Torstar’s largest technical program allowing multiple daily newsrooms to produce and deliver content with 50% fewer resources and do so anywhere in the world.
- Managed a team of of 20 people including vendors, developers, QA analysts, DBA’s, system administrators, business analysts and desktop support for company’s largest IT project ($14MM).
- Worked with key business and IT stakeholders to integrate enterprise wide content management solution.
- Reorganized development and QA teams to convert from waterfall to agile development process.
- Developed disaster recovery solution and plan to as part of enterprise business continuity plan.
- Managed infrastructure efforts to solution new virtual server environment for development, QA and staging to mimic the 14-server production environment.
- · Oversaw project execution, ensuring work product was within scope and schedule and that it was in line with the new corporate IT strategy.
- Managed 24 development projects through requirements gathering, development, QA, deployment and maintenance.
Metroland Media - Development Team Lead 2006 – 2007
BAU Solutions - Technical Team Lead 2005 – 2006
Metroland Media - Development Team Lead 2003 – 2005
Delano Technology - Sr. Applications Analyst 2000 – 2002
Nortak Software - Programmer 1998 – 2000
Education and Certifications
B.A. Business Economics, Ottawa University
Computer Programmer/Analyst, Georgian College
Certified Scrum Product Owner
Project Management Professional (PMP)
Six Sigma Green Belt
ITIL V3 Foundation
· Product Management
· Technical Leadership
· Service Delivery
· Strategy Planning & Managing
· Agile Coaching
· Contract Negotiation
· Organizational Development
· Process Improvement
· Relationship Management
· Backlog Management